Wednesday, September 8, 2010

You Humble Me, Lord

     Leaving aside the fact that I stole my title from the lyrics to a Norah Jones song, those particular words have never felt more true than during this last week.  I've faced some pretty interesting challenges.  The arduous part of the adventure has finally set in after the initial adrenaline rush of excitement.  I went to work for the first time today, and am more exhausted than I've been in a long time.
     I'm also learning to drive a stick shift.  In Los Angeles.  Talk about being humbled.  It's not the easiest thing to do in the first place, especially if you've spent the last five years driving an automatic.  On top of that add the ridiculous LA freeways.  Now, I'm not one to scare easily.  I'm actually not afraid of much (with the exception of bees).  I've gone to foreign countries; I'm perfectly fine speaking in front of large groups; I've held snakes; I've jumped out of a plane; and I recently conquered my fear of needles (nothing weird, just ask me about that later if you're interested).  But driving a stick shift in the ridiculous traffic on the freeway genuinely scares me, hard to admit as that is for me.  But there it is.  I don't like admitting it - I have a tendency to take pride in being fearless. 
     Must be God reminding me of my place in the world.  How many people live in this city and don't have access to a car at all?  Or don't have the money to pay for the buses?  Just needed that little spiritual kick in the butt to remind me to be grateful for all the things I do have. 
You humble me Lord
Humble me Lord
I'm on me knees empty
You humble me Lord
You humble me Lord
Please, please, please forgive me      Norah Jones

No comments:

Post a Comment